21 April 2023
The 2023 McPherson Community Awards will be held at Robina Community Centre today, an annual celebration of the outstanding contributions that residents make to our local community.
Federal Member for McPherson Karen Andrews said the event is a great opportunity to recognise locals, with more than 80 recipients to be acknowledged with awards this year.
“Their selflessness and devotion to our community is a great reflection of our magnificent region,” Mrs Andrews said.
“McPherson Awards are so special, as they’re all nominated by appreciative people within our community.”
“Each of these award winners makes an outstanding contribution to our community, and it is important that we acknowledge and recognize this work.”
There are three categories of awards:
- McPherson Community Achiever
- Young Community Achiever (under 25 years of age)
- Surf Lifesaving Community Achiever
Among the recipients for 2023 are:
- Nipper Ryan Hisco, who will be recognised with the McPherson Surf Lifesaving Community Achiever 2023 award for raising awareness and donations for the Make-A-Wish Foundation to help Australian children with critical illnesses. Ryan swam 64 ocean pools (around 8 per day) along the New South Wales coastline in 2022, swimming a total of 500 meters in each pool.
- Varsity College’s 2023 School Captain Blake Atkins, receiving the McPherson Young Community Achiever 2023 award, for his passion about youth issues and volunteering work with the Gold Coast Eisteddfod. He is currently serving as a 2023 Mayor’s Student Ambassador.
- Graham Jones, Michael Cooper, Richard Diaz, and Joanne Kane – recognised with the McPherson Community Achiever 2023 award – for their organisation of Burleigh Rotary’s duck race event, which raised $20,000 in funds for four local charities helping victims of domestic violence on the Gold Coast;
- Gold Coast Centre against Sexual Violence,
- Hearts of Purple,
- Macleod Accommodation Support Service and;
- The Sanctuary Women’s, Children’s and Pet Refuge
Across the three categories, recipients ranged from members of Lions Clubs, schools, RSL’s, Surf Life Saving Clubs, volunteer service delivery groups, and community progress associations.